Caring For Yourself
Caring can be physically and emotionally exhausting. Don’t feel guilty about taking time for your own interests. Keeping yourself well is important.
- Make sure your GP knows you are a carer and the effect this is having on your health
- Ask us for a carer’s needs assessment to find out what help you may be able to have, such as complementary therapies; breaks from caring or training courses to support you in your caring role
- Make sure you have good financial advice to support you with any financial worries you may have - advice from Belfast Carers Centre.
- Try to get enough sleep and rest to keep yourself healthy. Read more in the healthy living section.
- Try to have a healthy diet
- Make sure you take time for yourself when you need it, remember you have a right to a life outside your caring role
- Try to make contact with others outside your own caring situation who will be able to understand your feelings and support you as a carer. Contact one of the Carer Co-Ordinators for a list of Carer Support Groups.