Accident Prevention for everyone

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning can Kill

Carbon monoxide is a highly poisonous gas which is impossible to see, taste or smell and anyone who uses an appliance that burns a fossil fuel including gas, oil and coal as well peat and wood, is potentially at risk from carbon monoxide poisoning, if they are not properly installed or maintained.

The Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland (HSENI) have produced a new leaflet ‘Protect yourself from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning’ providing essential information on how to protect yourself and your family from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Many people will have suffered lasting damage to their health by lower level exposure to carbon monoxide, causing a series of flu-like symptoms, such as headaches, nausea, breathlessness, dizziness, collapse and loss of consciousness, to more serious conditions such as nerve damage, memory loss, personality change and even death.

A HSENI public awareness campaign encourages homeowners and landlords to be more aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide.

For further advice visit www.hseni.gov.uk/watchout