Poisoning

Most poisoning accidents involve medicines, household products and cosmetics. Over 28,000 children in the UK receive treatment for poisoning, or suspected poisoning, every year.

Tips to avoid accidental poisoning

  • Keep anything that may be poisonous (all medicines and pills, household cleaners and garden products) out of reach, preferably in a locked cupboard
  • Use containers that have child-resistant tops. But be aware that by the age of three, many children are able to open child-resistant tops, even if it takes them a little longer
  • Don't take medicine in front of a child, in case they try to copy your actions. Similarly, never tell children that tablets are sweets
  • Remove medication or other potentially harmful materials from purses, handbags, pockets, drawers and other places where children are likely to be naturally curious
  • Be careful when visiting family or friends, as they may not apply the same safety rules in their homes
  • Keep all dangerous chemicals in their original containers. For example, do not store weedkiller in an old drinks bottle as a young child may mistake it for something safe to drink
  • Dispose of unwanted medicines and chemicals carefully
  • Discourage your children from eating any plants or fungi when outside. Some can be extremely poisonous and even fatal
  • Be aware of potential risk of poisoning from carbon monoxide.

Further information can be viewed at:

http://watchout.hseni.gov.uk/ 
http://www.childsafetyweek.org.uk/child-safety-week/parents-section/safety-topics/poisons/