Be more active
- Moving your body around means using up more calories than if you are sitting down - every little helps...
- Look for easy ways to fit more movement into your day-to-day routine. For example, stand up when on the phone, use a toilet further away, use the stairs rather than the lift ,park a bit further away from your destination or get off the bus a stop earlier.
- Plan a walk into your day; gradually increase the length of time and the speed of your walks to burn more calories.
- Try using a step counter to see what you currently manage, then gradually add to the number of steps you do - build up to 10,000 a day - or more.
- Slowly build on the amount of activity that you do so that it becomes part of your daily routine, not just a passing phase that you find too difficult to keep up. People who do this are far more successful with long term weight control.
- Plan your activities into your diary each week. Follow an eating and activity plan specific to you as an individual and to your lifestyle.